Q: Where is the Runcorn Ward Office and how do I get there?

The Runcorn Ward Office is located that BBC Centre in Sunnybank

Street address: 121 Lister Street, Sunnybank Qld 4109

Office hours: 8.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday

Ph: (07) 3407 0566
Fax: (07) 3407 0568

Parking is available in the carpark beside the Ward Office


Q: What are the regulations for cat and dog owners?

On 1 July 2009, the Queensland State Government introduced new regulations for dog owners. The Brisbane City Council is responsible for administering these State Government laws, microchipping of cats and dogs (seller responsibility), microchipping of cats and dogs when given away (responsibility of person giving the animal away), microchipping of cats and dogs before reaching the age of 12 weeks and tattooing of cats and dogs at the time of desexing.

The Queensland Government has changed the laws regarding mandatory cat registration. Due to these changes, if you live in the Brisbane City Council area, you no longer need to register your cat. For more information or to enquire about existing cat registration, phone Council on 07 3403 8888.

For more information, please visit Council's website


Q: What can I do about speeding traffic in my street?

Enforcement of speed limits and other traffic offences is the responsibility of the Queensland Police Service and any instances of speeding or other irresponsible and dangerous driver behaviour should be reported directly to your local Police Station for action.

Brisbane’s road network consists of more than 6,000 kilometres of roads and speeding is a problem right across the city. Other than Police enforcement, there are no quick or easy solutions to the widespread problem of speeding in suburban streets.

Council receives almost one thousand requests for traffic calming each year and it is not possible or practical to implement every request. Only around 10 percent of the requests processed by Council Road Network Officers meet the criteria necessary for work to proceed.

While traffic calming may be effective in some situations, there are also instances where it is inappropriate, such as when the road in question is expected to cater for the safe and efficient movement of people and goods through a District or Region.

Traffic calming is unlikely to prevent irresponsible or anti-social driving (commonly known as ‘hooning’). In some cases, traffic calming has been known to exacerbate these problems by providing ‘hoons’ with the opportunity to test their high performance vehicles under more challenging road conditions.

Traffic calming works are generally planned and implemented on an area-wide basis, called a Local Area Traffic Management (LATM) project, to ensure that traffic problems in one street are not relocated to another nearby street.

In most cases, the aim of an LATM project is to discourage through traffic from using suburban streets and encourage the use of major traffic routes.

Given this aim, LATM projects can also cause significant inconvenience to local residents, who have to negotiate the traffic calming on a daily basis. This is a drawback that needs to be weighed up against any potential benefits a traffic calming project may deliver. As a result, community consultation is an important part of an LATM project.


Q: What can I do about a barking dog?

Under the Council’s Animal Local Law 2003, if a dog barks in excess of the following limitations it is considered a nuisance:

  • 7am - 10pm more than six minutes of animal noise in any hour
  • 10pm - 7am more than three minutes of animal noise in any half hour

Animal noise is also considered a nuisance if a Council officer finds it to be unreasonably disrupting or inhibiting to an activity ordinarily carried out at a residential premises (e.g. hanging the washing out, gardening).

If your neighbour's dog is barking excessively, you can take the following steps:

  • approach the dog's owner and state your case clearly and politely
  • if the dog's owner is unapproachable or does not agree that a problem exists, you can contact the Dispute Resolution Centre on 1800 017 288 - this service provides free mediation that is impartial, confidential and available 24 hours a day

If these methods don’t work, you can phone the Council on 07 3403 8888 to report the problem.


The Council will take the following steps after receiving a complaint about a barking dog:

  • investigate the complaint to determine whether the dog is causing a noise nuisance
  • if the dog is found to be causing a noise nuisance, the Council will serve the owner with a notice to remedy the nuisance and will offer assistance to achieve this
  • if the nuisance continues, the Council may issue a fine
  • if the dog continues to create a nuisance, the Council may issue a notice to remove the dog. If the owner doesn't comply, the Council may seize and impound the dog


If your dog is barking excessively, consult a vet to determine the cause of the barking.

If the vet is unable to resolve the issue, contact an animal behaviouralist or a dog training organisation.

Neighbours may be more patient with your dog's barking if they are aware of the steps you are taking to fix the problem.


Q: What can I do about a neighbourhood noise problems?

Noise can disrupt sleep and interfere with daily activities. If loud enough, it can also have a detrimental impact on people's health. Some noise complaints can be dealt with by Council, while others must be referred to State Government agencies.


Some noise regulations include a maximum loudness in decibels. Here are usual decibel levels for everyday situations:

  • quiet room in the house - 20 to 30 decibels
  • daytime in a quiet residential street - 35 to 45 decibels
  • large busy office - 50 to 60 decibels
  • lawn mower from 15 metres away - 70 decibels


Council is not able to deal with these common noise complaints:

  • noise from music, parties, off-road vehicles (such as trail bikes) and burglar alarms - contact the Queensland Police on 07 3364 6464
  • noise from premises with a liquor licence - contact the Department of Tourism and Racing's Liquor Licensing Division on 07 3224 7196
  • other types of noise complaints may be dealt with by the Environmental Protection Agency - contact the agency on 07 3224 5520


Q: How can I update my electoral details?

Australian Electoral Commission enrolment forms can be obtained from the Karawatha Ward Office or at most Australia Post offices.

You can also update your electoral details by completing an enrolment form on the Australian Electoral Commission website, print it out and mail it to: Australian Electoral Commission, Reply Paid 9867, Brisbane 4000.


Q: What grants are available through Brisbane City Council?

Brisbane City Council offers a range of different grants and funding programs to local non-profit community groups to help develop and improve services and facilities across Brisbane.

Available grants and funding programs include:

  • Community Grants Program
  • Lord Mayor’s Helen Taylor award for history
  • Lord Mayor’s Sustainability Grant
  • Environmental Grants Program
  • Senior Citizens Grants Program
  • Community Support Funding Program
  • Creative Sparks Grants Program
  • Lord Mayor’s Suburban Initiative Fund
  • Lord Mayor’s Young and Emerging Artists Fellowship

Application forms, guidelines for each program and the opening and closing dates, are available from www.brisbane.qld.gov.au  or by calling 3403 8888.


Q: Did you know that at the Runcorn Ward office you can:

  • Make an appointment with Councillor Marx
  • Obtain house numbers
  • Collect brochures
  • Make a request to the Call Centre
  • Make an application to address a Council meeting in City Hall
  • Apply for the Free Plants Program
  • Obtain Council Green Waste and General Waste tip vouchers
  • Obtain a Pensioner Rate Remission Application Receipt
  • Pick up a free Graffiti removal kit


Q: Can I contact Council seven days a week?

The Council call centre is open seven days a week, 24 hours a day, on 3403 8888.


Q: Am I entitled to free plants and how do I collect them?

Every Brisbane ratepayer is entitled to two free native trees each year.

Brisbane schools, community groups and charitable organisations are also entitled to up to 50 free native seedlings each year.

To claim your free trees, bring your first Rates Notice of the year to the Runcorn Ward office.

You will be issued with your vouchers to collect your seedlings from one of nine nurseries around Brisbane.


Q: Am I entitled to a rebate on my Council rates?

If you are an owner-occupier pensioner receiving government benefits you may be eligible for a rate discount.

Owner-occupier pensioners on maximum benefits are eligible for a 20% State discount capped at $180 per year; and a 40% Council discount capped at $600 per year.

Owner-occupier pensioners on part benefits are eligible for a 20% State discount capped at $180 per year; and a 20% Council discount capped at $180 per year.

For further information go to Rates & Remissions


Q: Where can I dispose of my household waste?

Household waste that cannot be disposed of in refuse or recycling bins can be taken to a Brisbane City Council Recycling and Transfer Station. The nearest Transfer Station for Runcorn Ward residents is located at 360 Sherbrooke Road, Willawong and is open from 6.30am to 5.45pm daily.

Each household is entitled to ten (10) green waste vouchers per year. These vouchers are fully transferable and entitle the holder to take 100kg of regular or green waste to any Council Waste Transfer Station. Vouchers can be collected from any customer service centre or ward office on presentation of your first rates notice of the year.


Q: How do I obtain a free Graffiti Removal Kit?

The Brisbane City Council provides free graffiti removal kits to residents.  These kits mainly cater for hard surfaces like concrete and brick.  For more information contact the Runcorn Ward Office or go to Graffiti Management.


Q: Where can I view Development Applications?

You can search for Development Applications lodged with the Brisbane City Council online and free of charge via View a Development Application


Q: How can I have my say regarding individual Development Applications?

Visit Neighbourhood Planning on the Council's website.


Report a Problem
If the issue you wish to report is urgent, please phone 07 3403 8888, 24 hours a day.

Otherwise you can contact Brisbane City Council online, by mail, SMS and relay services or by visiting one of our branches. Contact us to report maintenance issues or problems, make a bin request, complaint or for other Council enquiries.

To check out these options, go to www.brisbane.qld.gov.au